Monday, March 5, 2012

La-Z-Ed-U-Ther-Ap-Y

I admit it. I've been a bad mother lately, and I'm having more mommy guilt than usual over the fact that Simon and I haven't managed to finish a homework packet in 2 weeks. I've been told that I'm allowed to "adapt" them, to omit what Simon can't yet do and simplify where needed, but I'm pretty sure we should be handing in something.

Yet, between Simon's stepped-up therapy and my stepped-up work schedule, it has been just a little too much for us both. Simon is pretty tired after school, and a couple evenings a week he has extra therapy sessions outside the home. On nights he is off, we work on left-handed skills by wearing his new cast. After just a little while he's frustrated and "done" with working altogether. I know I should cheerfully push through this, but I've been lacking my usual stamina (since I'm kinda "done," too), and I can't decide if it makes me a worse parent to push, or to pull back.

Either way I am sure I'm doing something wrong.

To compensate, I'm trying to combine things. Tonight was an excellent example. First, we did our casting session. Since Simon is working on identifying money in school we set out some coins and, after identifying the coin he used lefty to put it into the piggy bank (pincer grasps, supination and math!).

For our second session we worked on language and social skills. I brought out a pint of Ben and Jerry's and we practiced asking nicely to take turns with the spoon....hey, wait, that counts as OT too! Lazy mother... or genius!

Okay, fine. Tomorrow we will finish our homework. For tonight, I need more froyo because Simon ate most of it. Please pass the spoon.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a genius move to me--frozen yogurt as an educational tool?

    ReplyDelete