Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 22: Snow and Ice and Cookies

School was closed, but KKI was open so Simon did go to therapy this morning. His OT was out sick, however, so we have to postpone our meeting to discuss the sensory issues. Hopefully, we will meet tomorrow.

Instead, Simon got to focus on fun gross motor activities. He also got his cast checked out, which his PT has been keeping on top of vigilantly throughout the program. Nonetheless, after a few weeks, it has a big crack in the elbow and is starting to get slightly funky despite our best efforts to keep it clean, and dry and covered (my cast cozy is not only attractive, it is practical!). Simon's PT was kind enough to re-line and re-tape it for us, so we're optimistic that it will make it through the rest of the program (I would really hate to get the thing remade.. remember what fun that was?).

Otherwise, it was a snow day. Simultaneously quiet and crazy (because we all know what joy cooped up children can become). The kids yelled through a client call, Simon managed to have an "accident" in the 30 seconds it took me to change his pull-up, and I caught myself telling Olivia that if she "couldn't find something to do, I would find something for her that would probably be a lot less fun."

Oh, my. In lieu of an intervention, I did the only rational thing one can do under such circumstances. Baked a batch of cookies with the kids and then ate them all.

If you know me, you've probably got this recipe (I also have it on my office website). But, it is so good, and the kid's favorite, and what we made today (I always seem to have the ingredients on hand...), that it seemed like it might be worth the share.

Olivia calls them "Magic Mommy Cookies."

In a big bowl combine:
1 stick margarine, melted
1 banana, mashed
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oatmeal
handful of shredded coconut
zest of an orange
bag of crasins
bag of white chocolate chips

Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment